Just in time for Christmas, Canadian theatre chain Cineplex is set to screen the animated film Tokyo Godfathers in Japanese with English subtitles and dubbed in English for one day only, on December 11th, 2023.
In modern-day Tokyo, three homeless people’s lives are changed forever when they discover a baby girl at a garbage dump on Christmas Eve. As the New Year fast approaches, these three forgotten members of society band together to solve the mystery of the abandoned child and the fate of her parents. Along the way, encounters with seemingly unrelated events and people force them to confront their own haunted pasts, as they learn to face their future, together.
Directed by the late Satoshi Kon, Tokyo Godfathers premiered in Japan on November 8th, 2003, and features a script co-written by Kieko Nobumoto, musical score by Keiichi Suzuki and animation by Mad House.
The Japanese voice cast is billed with
- Tôru Emori as the voice of Gin
- Yoshiaki Umegaki as the voice of Hana
- Aya Okamoto as the voice of Miyuki
- Shôzô Îzuka as the voice of Oota
- Seizô Katô as the voice of Mother
- Hiroya Ishimaru as the voice of Yasuo
- Ryûji Saikachi as the voice of Old Man
- Yûsaku Yara as the voice of Miyuki’s Father
The English voice cast features
- Jon Avner as the voice of Gin
- Shakina Nayfack as the voice of Hana
- Victoria Grace as the voice of Miyuki
- Jamieson Price as the voice of Oota
- Kate Bornstein as the voice of Mother
- Kirk Thornton as the voice of Yasuo
- David Manis as the voice of Old Man
- Crispin Freeman as the voice of Miyuki’s Father
© 2003 Satoshi Kon, Mad House and Tokyo Godfathers Committee. All Rights Reserved.
Did you find a typographical or factual error in this article? Please let us know!